[CoLoCo] Home network setup

John Edwards eric.the.grey at gmail.com
Sat Nov 3 02:15:54 GMT 2007

Hell, I've managed to fail getting windows machines to connect if I turn on
WEP.  Unfortunately, networking is one of my lesser abilities. :)

As for my wireless card, it's the infamous Broadcom Air Force card.  I could
not even get it to run under previous releases of Ubuntu.  Under Gutsy, it
just worked once I enabled the restricted driver.

One of these days, I may play around with it again.

John

On Nov 2, 2007 7:52 PM, Jim Hutchinson <jim at ubuntu-rocks.org> wrote:

> On 11/2/07, John Edwards <eric.the.grey at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I have MAC address filtering on, but no other security, mainly because
> I've
> > never been able to get it to work properly.  If we have anyone visit who
> > needs to access the network, I can always add them in.
> >
> You do know that mac filtering is pretty much useless as a form of
> security. It will prevent accidental connections but anyone wanting to
> connect can do so without much effort. Also, there is no encryption of
> your wifi traffic so it can easily be intercepted. May not be much of
> an issue for you and someone will need to be looking to find anything
> but there are people who look.
>
> WAP2 has worked really well for me since Feisty. I suppose if you have
> a less well supported wifi card that may have something to do with it.
> If you want help getting it set up, myself or someone can probably
> help (or verify it's hardware).
>
> Jim

Rule #1 of working in any creative field in the 21st century should be: Your
Fans Are Not The Enemy.
Charlie Stross.