[CoLoCo] Heads up

David Overcash funnylookinhat at gmail.com
Mon Jun 25 20:12:19 BST 2007

Ok.  This is regarding the increasing need for local support provided
by our team for free.  I think it's very necessary and applicable;
just the other day I had a woman in my coffee shop from Colorado
Springs who would love to use Ubuntu after I told her about it.  She
wanted to know if there were some people who lived nearby that would
be willing to help, and the best answer I could give her was to either
email me directly so I could post to the mailing list, or have her
write directly to the mailing list.  This is not a good communication
interface for our team to the community.

Here are my thoughts so far.  We definitely need to enact a new
program provided by CoLoCo for Ubuntu users who are looking for an in
person support session.  These could either be organized to be at
someone's house or to meet up at a coffee shop or similiar venue to
work on a laptop with someone.

I've been racking my brain all morning for a good solution to add to
our current website framework that would allow us to keep track of
people willing to provide this sort of support along with the areas
they are wiling to travel to or meet up at.  So far I haven't come up
with somethat that would be easily editable by the entire team (unless
simple wordpress pages can be edited by all users on the site) and
also graphical to help users be able to visualize their location in
regards to CoLoCo support members.

The wiki is a great solution for this, but to be honest I think with
us trying to move away from the wiki as our main source of information
it would be better for us to implement something into our new website.
 The google map is a good solution too, however unless we can import
into our current website with a clean interface and nice look I
believe it would look too tacky.  Remember, as much as people will
respond to free support, they won't take it seriously unless we look
and act professional on our first contact.  (This is the first reason
it was good for us to move away from the wiki, it looked a bit clunky
and it was difficult for new users to get information from).

If it comes down to it, we could create a sub-page on our wiki
(http://wiki.ubuntu.com/ColoradoTeam/LocalSupport would probably be a
good location) and then just link directly to it from our website with
a link titled "Free Local Support".

Please continue to brainstorm amongst yourselves and post any ideas
you have to this list so that we can hopefully pull together a viable
solution within the next few days.

Cheers,
David

http://www.funnylookinhat.com