[CoLoCo] GNU/Linux friendly phone: The Motorola Razr V3T on Ubuntu Fiesty

Ringo Kamens 2600denver at gmail.com
Sat Jun 23 08:45:04 BST 2007

I recently got a Black Motorola Razr V3T and here's my little tutorial
on how to get them to work with GNU/Linux. When I started doing this,
there were a lot of resources but I didn't know which ones to use. I
tried a variety of programs and found that I didn't even need any. My
goal was to have my phone play "damn it feels good to be a gangsta"
every time a certain person called me. I started at
http://stephen.evanchik.com/node/43. This works under fiesty with
restricted repositories enabled. I'd appreciate if somebody else could
try this because I had lots of packages installed already and I don't
know which ones I used that aren't default.

So here we go...

1. Add a contact in your address book
You'll need to add a contact to your address book that you want to
play the specified ringtone for. (You should be on your main screen)
Hit the down arrow, hit the up arrow, and select [New Entry] (you can
skip this if the person is already in your address book). Put in their
information

2. Enable Ringer IDs
(You should be on your main screen)  Hit the menu key, go to settings,
go to ring styles, set style to soft (you can change this later),
select "soft detail", go to Ringer IDs and change to ON

3. Get your MP3 or WAV file
I used an MP3 file, but supposedly a wav will work as well for
starters. Put it in your home directory.
 3a. Open a terminal
Open your terminal by going to Applications>Accessories>Terminal. Type:
sudo apt-get install mplayer audacity lame
mplayer -ao pcm filename.mp3
and hit enter. You'll need to change "filename.mp3" to the name of your file.
 3b. Edit the file
Go to places>home folder. Right click on audiodump.wav and select open
with>audacity. Now edit it to the proportions you'd like. Make the
sound file as short as possible (no need to be longer than 15 sec).
Save that file (in your home directory) and then go back to your
terminal.
 3c. Encode the file
Type this command:
lame -b 64 -s 44.1 -mm cutsound.wav output.mp3
Where cutsound.wav is the name of the file you just saved, and
output.mp3 is the name of the new file it will create.
4. Transfer the file
Hook up your phone to your computer via the USB cable. If a window
does not pop up in 10 seconds, click on the new removable drive icon
on your desktop (mine was called "disk").  Go to disk>mobile>audio and
drop the new MP3 file in there. Eject the disk and disconnect it.
5. Configure your phone
Turn your phone off, then turn it on again. Go to menu>fun and
apps>sounds. Hit the menu key and select switch storage device. If
memory card is not one of the options, you are already in the right
place so just hit back. If it is in the list, select memory card. Now
you should see your new MP3 file in the list of sounds. Click on it,
hit menu, and select move. For the destination, select phone. *phew*.
Now it's finally in the right place. Now, go back to your main screen.
Hit the down arrow key to get to your address book, find the contact
of choice, and edit their information. At the bottom you should see a
ringer ID option, edit that and set it to your new MP3 file. Voila,
you have a custom ringer ID.

Hope this helps somebody, it was a bitch to figure out. Another
program you might want to check out is moto4lin (available in the
repositories). I couldn't get it to work with my phone, but I know it
has worked for previous Ubuntu releases. I'd really appreciate it if
somebody would try this to check to make sure these instructions work,
even with other RAZR models.