[CoLoCo] "Official" CoLoCo Shirts - it's time to decide

Kevin Fries kfries at cctus.com
Wed Aug 22 16:20:04 BST 2007

On Tue, 2007-08-21 at 22:04 -0600, TJ Heaney wrote:
> I say Polo as well.

One more vote for Polo... or even better, what Cafe Press (and the
embroiderer I use) calls a Golf Shirt.

Also, for the whimsical graphic, I LOVE this one:
http://www.cafepress.com/buy/Ubuntu+penguin/-/pv_design_details/pg_1/id_11982128/opt_/fpt_/c_666/

Finally, at the same site, JFYI, look what the Arizona Loco did:
http://www.cafepress.com/buy/ubuntu%20arizona/-/cfpt2_/copt_/cfpt_/source_searchBox/x_0/y_0

I like the idea that the shirts, mugs, whatever, is available to anyone
to buy, whenever.  I am not sure what they had to offer to get this
deal, but I like it on three fronts...

First, it is not a one time deal or a deal based upon when we can get
enough buying power together.  This way, I could buy maybe one shirt
now, a second in a few months;  or, maybe a mug; or,  maybe a mouse pad.
Establishing a store like this, encourages me to keep showing support,
again and again, instead of just once.

Second, I think we could achieve our goal much faster by having a series
of items with the logo, then offering them in a catalog or brochure.
This encourages Ubunutu users, even those not active in the LoCo, to
show their colors, where they otherwise would not be able to.  And,
nobody has to put out a bunch of cash in the hopes of selling these.

Finally, I can not speak about Cafe Press, but many online retailers
offer a kickback to sponsor organizations in cases like this.  This
could be a source of income for the LoCo, that I would love to see put
towards the advancement of Linux, and Ubuntu in general, right here in
Colorado.  Use it, for example, to sponsor a booth at the Taste of
Colorado next year, or the People's Fair.  Something that gives
Linux/Ubuntu some mainstream exposure.  Hey, and those of us that cover
the booth, could wear our Colorado LoCo shirts :-D

Just my $0.02

--
Kevin Fries
Senior Linux Engineer