[Ubuntu Chicago] Next Weekend - May 22-23 - Chicago Green Festival

swoody swoody at ubuntu.com
Fri May 14 21:37:46 BST 2010

Not specifically related to Ubuntu or GNU/Linux, but I just wanted to
share this info in case anyone's interested.

Next weekend - May 22-23 - is the annual Green Festival at Navy Pier.
http://www.greenfestivals.org/chicago/

This is a pretty cool event which showcases a lot of environmentally and
ethically conscious vendors, exhibits, speakers, etc. I will be
volunteering down there again this year, so if anyone comes on Saturday
I'll probably be there :)

Admission is free for:
- Volunteers
- Bike riders with valet ticket
- Students with ID
- Youth ages 18 and under
- City of Chicago Employees
- Green America & Global Exchange members
- Recycling a cell phone at the event
(More info on admission: http://www.greenfestivals.org/chicago/pricing/ )

On the bike topic, entry is free for anyone who rides their bike down to
the event - so this may be a good option for people to pair up with a
Metra ride. The Metra weekend passes are very inexpensive, and admission
to the festival would be free, so you have one very wallet-friendly
weekend. In addition to the free entry, cyclists get free *secure* valet
parking at the event, and even a free Clif bar :)

I think this event may also be a good place to hand out Ubuntu CD's and
specifically pitch the Netbook Remix for low-powered computing devices.
They seem to be into free software as well - on the bottom of their site
they declare a Creative Commons license, and they also recommend using the
"the community powered, open source" Firefox browser, so that's very cool
:)

--
- Woody
wiki.ubuntu.com/swoody