[Ubuntu Chicago] Social Activities

Kevin Harriss special.kevin at gmail.com
Thu Oct 29 17:39:11 GMT 2009

Some events that another organization (Chicago LUG) I am involved with
did/do are Programming Tonight, 2 Drunk 2 Code (2D2C) and Linux Lunch.
Programming Tonight we would usually meet up at a coffee shop or
hookah bar that had free wifi and work on projects. This would give us
a chance to work with people on a project or bounce ideas off each
other. 2D2C started out as a purely social gathering. We would meet up
at a bar and have a couple pints and talk about various things
sometimes it would be about linux/open source other times not. It was
just an excuse for us together and hang out in a social setting. Linux
Lunch started out since a number of our members all worked in the loop
area so we would get together once a week and grab lunch. I am not
sure if you have a large enough concentration in one area of the city
but if so this works out nicely.

If you are looking for linux events and such to attend as a group. You
are more than welcome to attend the Chicago Linux User group meetings.
Our meetings are on the second Saturday of every month from
3:00-6:00pm. After the meetings we usually go out for food and drinks.
If you want to get a taste of our meetings I encourage you to stick
around after the release party and attend the Chicago LUG meeting.

Also there is a Flourish in the spring. There is usually always a
strong presence from the Chicago loco there. Other regional events are
Ohio Linux Fest and Penguicon (Michigan). Also there are the barcamps
in the area (BARcamp Chicago, BARcamp Madison, BARcamp Milwaukee).

Kevin