[Ubuntu Chicago] Help with RAID controller

Jason Tham j-tham at kellogg.northwestern.edu
Fri Oct 9 21:38:29 BST 2009

Hello all,
	This is my first time mailing this list, I was hoping someone here might be able to assist me.  I've been using ubuntu for about a year now, and I love it, but I'm still learning about the more advanced features of the OS.  I just recently got a new custom built Lenovo D20 workstation which I put 64-bit ubuntu 8.04 on.  This machine has an onboard hardware RAID controller, it's a marvell 88SE64xx series RAID controller.  I am currently trying to get it to allow me to see hard drives.
	I don't need it to do RAID, in fact I have deleted the RAID array, I just want to use the hard drives connected to the RAID on the motherboard, because I have more hard drives than available SATA ports.  All of the articles I've found on the net regarding this issue propose something similar to the solution here <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/327783>, i.e. load the mvsas module.  I have not been able to do this.  I've tried to load the mvsas.ko file which I got off that page using the modprobe command, some sort of module inserting command, and they all tell me that the file I have is from a different version of the kernel.  I have pretty much zero experience loading custom modules and drivers, so I could easily be doing something incorrect.  Many of the articles also suggest I try building the module from source, which I can't do since I couldn't find the source code.
	Also, many of the articles also point to this page <http://wiki.debian.org/pata_marvell> saying that it helped them with their problems.  I however have not found this to be any help, mostly because I have no idea what it means.
	If anyone here thinks they can assist me with this, it would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks,

Jason Tham
j-tham at kellogg.northwestern.edu