[Ubuntu Chicago] Jam

Dave Crew crewsr3 at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 2 12:18:19 BST 2009

If I can share my two cents.  I'm a non-technical person but have been using ubuntu as my main OS starting with 6.06.  So I've been around ubuntu for some time but I'm still very much a noob in the fact that I don't know the first thing about coding.  I still struggle with getting my samba shares to work.

I have been to several loco/lug meetings but often feel like I have noting to contribute.  On the flip side, everyone has always been very friendly and helpful with my questions.  At the last "Bug/Global Jam" I did help triage bugs, but I didn't know if the work I was doing was helping or hurting because of my limited understanding of what I was doing.

So I was not planning on coming to this Global Jam because I didn't think that I could really add any value.  When I saw some of these emails I could relate to the fact that I'm a noob and watching the pros like Richard or Nathan parepare a package would be cool to watch but not that helpful to me or ubuntu.

I thought that maybe we can have a "New Comers" group for those of us that are still learning the basics.  A place to ask some of the simpler questions......like tips and tricks for the cli or sharing a printer with a windows computer.  I know I could answers most of my questions with google and IRC, but some times it is just easier to ask some of these noob questions F2F.

I still don't know if I will be able to make it but I thought I might put in my two cents and maybe my input with help a few new people feel the ubuntu love.

IRC:  Crewsr3