[Ubuntu Chicago] Tethering A BlackBerry

r_a_smith3530 at sbcglobal.net r_a_smith3530 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Nov 9 00:18:44 GMT 2009

Although I've been around Linux and Ubuntu for a bit, I still consider myself a noob, and so, I am reaching out for help.

I have had no problem tethering my 8330 Curve with both XP and Vista, and was even able to tether over Bluetooth with my Nokia N800 which runs Maemo. I also was previously able to tether my HTC PPC6800 (a WinMo smartphone) under Ubuntu, but the Curve has me stumped.

I have downloaded Barry from the repositories on all of my machines, and have also installed Berry4All, but am obviously not doing something right. I picked up a book on Ubuntu with Netbooks because it had something on tethering, but its quite simple instructions are short of the mark.

My guess is that the phone is not being currently recognized as a modem device.

Any help would be appreciated. I have several laptops, running Intrepid, Jaunty, and even Karmic NBR. I would like to be able to utilize them all if possible.

Rob Smith