[Ubuntu Chicago] Ubuntu 9.04 release party planning

Jim Campbell jwcampbell at ubuntu.com
Tue Mar 3 22:03:13 GMT 2009

Hi All,

I wanted to put the wheels in motion for the Ubuntu 9.04 (aka Jaunty
Jackalope) release party.  We have a number of people on this team who are
active contributors to the project, and all of our hard work deserves some
time to get together and celebrate.  We also had a good group of people come
together for the Global Bug Jam, so it would be good to see all of them, and
to maybe even introduce a couple of new faces to the Ubuntu-Chicago LoCo
team.

What:

   - Ubuntu 9.04 (the Jaunty Jackalope) Release Party
   - Present on features of KDE 4.2, Gnome 2.26, & Xfce 4.6

When:

   - Tentatively - Saturday, April 25th.  Time is TBD.

Possible Locations:

   - Goose Island (near North and Clybourn in Chicago): Our last in-person
   release party was held at Goose Island, and we had a good time with
   reasonably good turnout.  The food was good, the beer (for those of legal
   drinking age) was good, the price was fairly reasonable, but the wifi was
   almost non-existent.
   - Buffalo Wild Wings (NW burbs): I think this is where the first-ever
   Ubuntu-Chicago release party was held.  Ah, memories.  I wasn't yet involved
   with the LoCo team.  :(
   - Pumping Station One (don't think they've finalized a location yet):
    Pumping Station One is a community-organized hackerspace for all kinds of
   hacking-related activities and groups.  This might be a cool option if they
   settle on a location & if we can get permission to meet at the space.  More
   details at their website, http://www.pumpingstationone.org .  A few
   ChicagoLug people are actively involved in getting this up and running, and
   it would be a good location to introduce Ubuntu to people who might not be
   as directly involved with FOSS.
   - [Your idea here]:  We could have it at someone's house or some other
   location.

Why:

   - Because to work as hard on a project as many of us do and then not
   celebrate when it gets released is just wrong
   - Because we can get the word out about how cool this free software thing
   really is.

I think that the 9.04 release is going to be pretty darn good.  Once we
settle on a location, we should publicize the crap (sorry for my language)
out of this one and get a bunchload of people out to the event.

Jim