[Ubuntu Chicago] what is freenode.chat?

Robert Smith r_a_smith3530 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Aug 7 03:47:11 BST 2009

Julie,

First, welcome to the Ubuntu community of Chicago. I've been using Ubuntu now for about a year and I really like it. I have to admit that I still have Windows around, but that is because I make money supporting it. Thank you Mr. Gates!

As others have mentioned, Freenode is an IRC (Internet Relay Chat) server. Think of IRC as a pre-AIM form of instant messaging. There are a number of IRC servers, freenode is but one, but that said, it is one of the more popular ones. Ubuntu-Chicago (actually #ubuntu-chicago) is the chat "room" for the Chicago Ubuntu LoCo Team.

Although Pidgin will work for IRC, it has always seemed a bit awkward to me. I much prefer an application called "X-Chat." This can be found in the Ubuntu respositories using either apt-get or Synaptic Package Manager. There is also a version for Windows available in case you are dual-booting and run into a problem getting to your Ubuntu installation.

I am including a link to a wiki page with some IRC commands to get you started. I hope that this helps you out.

http://conshell.net/wiki/index.php/IRC_cheatsheet

BTW, the main Ubuntu group (#ubuntu) ALWAYS has a fair amount of traffic, so you can usually find assistance any time of day or night.

Peace out,

Rob