[Ubuntu Chicago] what is freenode.chat?

Nathan Handler nhandler at ubuntu.com
Fri Aug 7 03:18:53 BST 2009

On Fri, Aug 7, 2009 at 2:12 AM, Julie Bell<jmwebstuff at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have been using Ubuntu for 2 months now. So far I really like it. I am trying to find other people who use it. And learn more.

Very nice.

> What is chat.freenode?

Freenode is an IRC network that has all of the Ubuntu IRC channels.
IRC is a live group chat that we use to chat with other people, hold
meetings, and discuss various projects.

> I have installed pidgin, but I have no clue how to become a registered user, or how to access this site.
>
> Could some one please give me instructions.

Instructions for using Pidgin to access the Ubuntu IRC channels can be
found on the wiki [1]. When it talks about joining a channel (the
guide has you join #ubuntu), you can join #ubuntu-chicago instead to
meet up and chat with other Ubuntu users living in or around Chicago.

- Nathan Handler

[1] https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Pidgin