[Ubuntu Chicago] To Clean GRUB, or not

Richard A. Johnson nixternal at kubuntu.org
Tue Jun 24 02:34:55 BST 2008

On Monday 23 June 2008, Lawrence Frank wrote:
[...]
| Ubuntu 8.04, kernel 2.6.24-19 Generic
| Ubuntu 8.04, kernel 2.6.24-19 Generic (Recovery Mode)
| Ubuntu 8.04, kernel 2.6.24-18 Generic
| Ubuntu 8.04, kernel 2.6.24-18 Generic (Recovery Mode)
| Ubuntu 8.04, kernel 2.6.24-17 Generic
| Ubuntu 8.04, kernel 2.6.24-17 Generic (Recovery Mode)
| Ubuntu 8.04, kernel 2.6.24-16 Generic
| Ubuntu 8.04, kernel 2.6.24-16 Generic (Recovery Mode)
| Ubuntu 8.04, kernel 2.6.24-14 Generic
| Ubuntu 8.04, kernel 2.6.24-14 Generic (Recovery Mode)
| Ubuntu 8.04 MemTest 86+
[...]
| Here's my question:
|
| If I 'delete' the Ubuntu 8.04 lines 2.6.24-14 through 2.6.24-17 on the
| GRUB screen, will it affect the latest 8.04, kernel 2.6.24-18 command
| line?

Do not edit /boot/grub/menu.lst because the next Kernel upgrade will only bring
all of those old kernels back into Grub, that is the incorrect way to fix this.

What you want to do is utilize either 'sudo apt-get --purge remove' or 'sudo
aptititude purge'. They both do the same thing. What you should do is use one
of them, and then add 'linux-' at the end of the line and hit the TAB key
twice, and it will list all of the installed files that start with linux-, such
as headers, images, restricted, and ubuntu. You can remove everything that is
not related to the 2.6.24-19 kernel this way and it is safe, and removes
everything related to the old kernels.

| I could be answering my own inquiry, but the reason I question the
| idea of deleting these lines; I notice 'up-dates' often just 'upgrade'
| a previously loaded package.
|
| Any suggestions?
| (The only reason I hold on to Vista – yuck – certain business programs
| still require Windows)

As I said above, I format my hard drives with a 128MB /boot partition and as
soon as I upgrade to a new kernel, I reboot and remove the old ones using purge
as that will remove every trace of the old kernel freeing up as much space as
possible.

--
Richard A. Johnson
nixternal at kubuntu.org