[Ubuntu Chicago] Open Source Podcasting

Chad Sutton csutton at chadarius.com
Wed Apr 23 20:18:41 BST 2008

Hey all, I've just posted up a short tutorial on how I'm using all open
source tools on Kubuntu to record and edit podcats. I'm interested in your
feedback. Check it out at http://chadarius.com/node/97.

Here is the short version

Tools used:

2 Kubuntu 7.10 PC's, Gizmo VOIP client, Gizmo VOIP conference feature,
Icemat Audio headset and usb card, Audacity audio editor, Podsafe Music from
http://music.podshow.com,

Process:

   1. Use only SIP compliant VOIP clients (iChat, Gizmo, Ekiga) so that
everyone can use the Gizmo VOIP conference call number.
   2. Use two Gizmo clients on your end. One to participate in the call and
one just for recording. The PC that is recording with Gizmo should have its
speakers and mic turned off. Otherwise strange echoing or feedback will
occur.
   3. Everyone call in using the full phone number that you get from Gizmo
(It should look like 1-222-xxx-xxxx). Using other methods doesn't seem as
reliable.
   4. Record the call. Everyone will hear a message that says that the call
is being recorded. Make sure that at the end of the call everyone is off
mute and you record about 10 seconds of "silence". This is for later on when
you use the noice filter feature in Audacity.
   5. Hold your podcast session
   6. When completed... immediately back up the recording file. Be default
it saved it to the root of my home directory. In fact, I would think of
cutting it to a CD just in case.
   7. Find your intro/bumper music on the PodShow web site.
   8. Use Audacity to fix the sound. Use the Leveller, Compressor and Noise
Removal effects in Audacity to smooth out the levels from different people
and remove any hum or static that is there (remember that 10 seconds of
silence? Use that as your sample for the Noise Removal effect). Don't be
worried about totally messing up your podcast with Audacity. It has
multi-level undo and you backed everything up right?
   9. When you are done, export to MP3, Ogg, etc...
  10. Make sure all the MP3 meta data is filled out. Artist, Album, Track,
etc... and upload to your site for inclusion in your RSS feed. You are done!

--
Later,
Chad