[Ubuntu Chicago] Packaging Jam Proposal

Richard A. Johnson nixternal at kubuntu.org
Wed Apr 30 05:28:09 BST 2008

Hey everyone!

I have been working closely with other LoCo teams these past few weeks, more
specifically the Michigan team. One thing I noted is just how much everyone of
their members are into development big time. Whether it is bug triage or
packaging, they are doing it.

After witnessing this first hand and being super impressed, I would like to
propose the Ubuntu Chicago team start heading up Ubuntu development sessions.
We could alternate sessions between bug triage and packaging. I would donate my
time and experience in helping everyone learn all of the development stages
within the Ubuntu community, however before I do so, I would like to know how
many are interested in such a feat. My last attempt at doing this was
disappointing on various levels. I think by researching our community here in
Chicago a bit more and providing at least a few weeks of advanced notice may
make the sessions better. Chicago needs to do something, because as it stands,
we do far less than any other LoCo team in the US, even less than those who are
just starting out.

Here are just some of my requests though in order to move forward:

1) How many are interested? (I would like to see group meetings of more than 5)

2) Sessions would take place separate of any other local event (ie. not at LUG
meetings)

3) Sessions would vary in time: to start out, I would like to see at least 4+
hour sessions. After everyone has passed the Dev 101 and 102 courses, then we
could do weekly or biweekly hackathons.

4) Locations would need to include:
     - Room for 10 or more people
     - Internet connection
     - Projector and screen

5) Location has to be FREE!

6) Would be nice to get a video camera to record the sessions

7) We all take turns running a session, giving presentations

I would really like to help get people interested in the development side of the
free software community, and introducing people to Ubuntu development is about
the best way I know to get started. I wish that 14 years ago when I started, it
was as easy as it is today.

Another thing I think this will help with is getting people very familiar with
the Ubuntu way of life, therefor increasing their capabilities when it comes to
promoting and supporting Ubuntu locally.

Please provide your feedback, comments, concerns, or suggestions. Thank you!

--
Richard A. Johnson
nixternal at kubuntu.org
GPG Key: 0x2E2C0124