[Ubuntu Chicago] First impressions of Gusty

Richard A. Johnson nixternal at kubuntu.org
Fri Oct 19 05:27:34 BST 2007

On Thursday 18 October 2007, jjirsa at comcast.net wrote:
| I just installed it on my Toshiba laptop, and everything is working except
| for sound; for some reason the volume is way low.  I did a search on the
| net and haven't found a fix for it.  Sound was working fine under Feisty.

Don't you have the Intel HDA sound like I do? If you do, you have to increase
volume in Kubuntu by clicking on the speaker, then click Mixer, and to
control your volume, use the PCM slider. You can set the PCM to be the master
channel so the main volume slider works. Do this by right clicking on the
speaker and selecting "Select Master Channel".

| Our sysadmin at my company upgraded a server from Feisty last week, and
| after the upgrade, the Apache, PHP and Bacula config files were
| overwritten. He is really P.O'ed about it...this definitely turned him off
| of Ubuntu.

It is his fault they were overwritten, so he should be P.O'ed at himself. When
the config files have updates, it asks you to overwrite them or use your own,
and the default setting is to use your own and not overwrite. He selected 'N'
which meant he over wrote them. Tisk Tisk! I have done this on multiple
occasions by not paying attention.

| So, I don't think its ready for release just yet.

I have been running Gutsy since the day we had a complete tool chain, so that
was what, May? This was the first development cycle where an updated didn't
totally kill my system. I had one scare with my server, but that again was my
fault, and after rolling back all of Perl, I was able to do a proper update
and get it up and running again. 30 minutes of downtime. Feisty had an update
that took me down for 2 days. And Edgy, well that was a waste of time in my
eyes.

Jeff, see ya Sunday!

--
Richard A. Johnson