[Ubuntu Chicago] Important Information and Plans!

Eddie Martinez eddiemartinez at gmail.com
Fri Nov 9 07:29:39 GMT 2007

Hey guys, long time no see. Have you found the Google machine on the
Internet yet? Awesome if you have. If not, let me know, and I'll point the
way. Now to some serious business.

Patrick Green launched a project to backup and migrate a server at Christian
Life College in Mount Prospect, Illinois as well as promote free software in
general. Basically they are a small college that has gobbled up our free
software ethic because they realize how powerful and generally superior the
technology is. Jim and Richard went by last Tuesday and helped students out,
which means that 10% of the student population is already running Ubuntu, at
last count. Also, Robert Stolorz from Fera Tech, Inc. came by and offered
technology at a great price to the students. Yay! No doubt the number of
users has already changed, and gone up. In exchange for our help, we are
going to get access to their largest classrooms, and computer lab for
meetings. We will be able to meet there whenever we want, and expand our
base of operations.

At the moment, the next projected meet date for this project, and to promote
our Loco via this channel is Sunday the 25th of September. If anything
changes, the mailing list will know.

Our next general, 'official' meeting is Dec. 1st at the Institute of Design
with the Chicago GNU/Linux Users Group meeting. 6th floor, 1pm-3pm.
chiglug.org

Also, take a moment to look through our website. This is an index of every
page:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/?action=fullsearch&context=180&value=chicago&titlesearch=Titles

There is always space for more presentations, so if there are any
suggestions/requests, please speak up.

Richard and I will be bringing up a possible new project this Sunday at the
Ubuntu US Teams meeting. The general idea is for the Loco to lead a
Ubuntu-Midwest regional team dedicated to help spread Ubuntu in the region,
specifically so that the other teams/possible teams in the area will have
mentors, role models, friends to rely on, etc. Richard is an official US
Teams mentor which means he is qualified to do this job,  however one may
define mentoring a Loco.

In that vein, the Ubuntu-Illinois Team is still not ready to apply for
official team membership to the Community Council. I have proposed that the
Chicago Team help the Illinois Team in any way possible. Micheal
(manchicken) is having a Ubunterro (child of an Ubuntu fan, afaik) around in
early Jan. and should not be expected to lead the team alone. In fact,
that's not even the definition of a team. One event currently planned is a
CodeSprint on Feb. 9th, 2008 in the Urbana-Champaign area. We need as much
help as possible with this event. However, we did make it into the Ubuntu
Weekly News. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuWeeklyNewsletter/Issue64
Hopefully, that will be the start of publicity for a great event.

These are all the points I can think of at the moment. Please respond back
with questions, comments, concerns, ideas, links to XKCD comics, etc. I hope
to see all of you in the IRC chan. or in real life sometime soon.

--
This has been an Eddie Martinez production.
<Please exit in an orderly fashion>