[Ubuntu Chicago] ubuntu-mac

Eric O'Neal fyedernoggersnodden at gmail.com
Sat May 5 00:06:41 BST 2007

On 5/4/07, Chad Sutton <chadarius at gmail.com> wrote:

>  I think its great that Apple has used BSD as a base for their OS. But
> frankly I'm disappointed in how proprietary they are with all the layers on
> top of BSD. I think that their reliance on their proprietary software stack
> is the one thing that keeps me from fully embracing them.

And at the same time, that unified, proprietary stack is what makes Mac
*unique* enough to remain lucrative to the average user.

<rant>
If OSS-OS was just "Linux" or something, not
Ubuntu/Debian/MEPIS/Fedora/Redhat/PCLinOS/Mandriva/Fedora/FreeBSD/etc,
people might have an easier time stomaching it.  That's why I like Ubuntu --
just the fact that it's a head above the rest of the distros numerically
gives it a little distinction.  Finally I can just say "get Ubuntu" instead
of "yo folks, I want you to try linux, but you'll have to do eenie meenie
miny mo first."
</rant>

But then where's the choice & freedom techies love, eh?  That's what Linux
is all about.

It makes little or no sense for me to buy premium priced hardware/software
> and then only use Ubuntu on it.

Just for the record, my MacBook was as cheap as the competition when I
bought it.  That's rare -- but it shows that Apple is at least *capable* of
competing pricewise.  For a couple years there Consumer Reports showed them
to have 30% higher longevity than PC's -- I wonder if that stat still
holds.  However, I'll be the first to admit I bought mine just 'cuz it
looked cool.

SigmaX

--
My home page:  http://www.SigmaX.org

"ttocs laeno cire oshkosh b'gosh fyedernoggersnodden nicht stein bon
probiscus"

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in
school"
              -- Albert Einstein