[Ubuntu Chicago] Your next challenge is NVIDIA drivers and components.

Max Luebbe max.luebbe at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 23:25:59 GMT 2007

Seconding what everyone else has already said - I used to admin a research
lab that ran nothing but Ubuntu Linux (No windows machines on my watch!) and
when building boxes I explicitly chose NVidia graphics because the binary
drivers worked well and provided awesome performance. One of the last boxes
I put together was a dual xeon with an agp 6600GT.

Temporary workaround for getting screwed by lousy creative drivers is to
enable your ac97 on your motherboard if you've got it via the bios. If you
are looking for better audio than that and are willing to spend a few
dollars, you can probably find a sound blaster 5.1 live card for $10 or so
somewhere on the internet, and this card behaves well under linux.

If you're having problems or haven't tried this yet, this is the way to get
stable nvidia drivers for your card:

sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx
sudo nvidia-glx-config enable

then restart x or reboot if you're feeling lazy, and you should be up and
running.

Hope that helps.

-Max
www.intentionallyobsolete.com