[Ubuntu Chicago] Directory Server

Antonio Sosa asosa at ansotech.com
Mon Mar 5 18:19:03 GMT 2007

Hi Chad

Sounds cool. I have integrated LDAP with samba. I think we can take it
further. Allow Linux profile shaping like active directory on Windows.

Vision
Have an LDAP server serve credentials for the samba shares but also
Sabayon profiles. So when a Ubuntu user logs in they not only get access
to the share and printers but also the gnome settings are inherited from
the admin of the LDAP installation. This way an admin can administrate
not just the shares and printers but also the desktop that they user
logins with. On a standard LDAP - I can copy the sabayon profile from
/etc/desktop_profiles and essential copy the desktop profile from one
machine to another. But it is a manual copy per user. I think we can
automate this. Its kinda like creating a solution with Ubuntu, Samba,
Sabayon and maybe some python or bash scripts to pull the xml files that
make up the gnome settings from an LDAP established repository and copy
them locally to the machine that the user logs in with his so his
desktop moves with him to any of the Ubuntu machines that are part of
the LDAP domain just like active directory does in a Windows
environment. I think companies would really like that functionality and
it might make it an easy sell in the enterprise or any company with more
than 50 pcs.

Anyone besides me, interested in this.

Thank you,

 <http://www.ansotech.com/images/ansotechlogo.gif>