[Ubuntu Chicago] How We Learn: Building an Educated City

Jim Campbell jwcampbell at gmail.com
Tue Jul 24 18:07:38 BST 2007

A member of Free Geek Chicago will be speaking on a panel concerning
"educational opportunities outside of the job and the academy," this
Saturday.  I think this is relevant to what we do, too, so I thought I would
pass information about it along.

Title/Date: How We Learn: Building an Educated City
=========
Event Details:
*Saturday 7.28, 1-3pm*

w/ Mess Hall, Platypus, Free Geek, Chicagoland/Calument Underground Railroad
Efforts, Bronzeville Historical Society, Chicago Women's Health Clinic,
African Diaspora, The Odyssey Project, and more.
Adults Need Quality, Interesting, Creative, Critical Educational
Opportunities Outside of the Job and the Academy!

You are invited to join a discussion with a panel featuring representatives
of local educational initiatives committed to cultural learning for adults
in Chicago. These organizations and projects operate outside of traditional
paradigms such as ESL/GED and professional skill development. We hope to
highlight a range of important work happening in the city and encourage new
participation in those efforts where it is appropriate. Additionally, by
showcasing innovative cultural education for adults, we will gain a better
sense what possibilities are currently available to adults seeking
stimulation outside of traditional educational settings and better
understand what this means for all of our efforts and our city.

This public forum was made possible in part by the Illinois Humanities
Council.

=========
The event will take place at Hyde Park Art Center, 5020 S. Cornell Ave*^.
*Unless otherwise noted: All events will take place at HPAC /Wednesday
events start at 6pm and Saturday events start at 1pm-3pm/ All events are 2
hours long/All events are in Gallery 1.
^ The Art Center is easily accessible by public transportation: Take the #6
Jackson Park Express to E. Hyde Park Blvd. and Cornell Ave.; walk half a
block north to 5020 S. Cornell Ave. Or, take the #15 Jeffrey or #28 Stony
Island to E. Hyde Park Blvd. and Lake Park Ave.; walk one block east and
half a block north to 5020 S. Cornell Ave. For detailed maps and schedules,
visit the CTA's website at http://www.transitchicago.com. You also can take
the Metra Electric to the 51st/53rd Street stop. Exit at 51st Street, walk
half a block east and turn left (north) on Cornell to 5020 S. Cornell Ave.
=========
This Program is part of the July-Sept 2007 HOW WE LEARN series organized by
AREA Chicago (areachicago.org)
See http://www.hydeparkart.org/exhibitions/2007/07/the_pedagogy_project.php for
the FULL 2 MONTH SCHEDULE
=========
Pedagogical Factory
Exploring strategies for an educated city
Hyde Park Art Center, Chicago, IL USA http://www.hydeparkart.org
July 22-September 23, 2007
Organized by The Stockyard Institute www.stockyardinstitute.org
Public Programs by AREA Chicago Art/Research/Education/Activism
jwcampbell at gmail.com