[Ubuntu Chicago] e-ntroduction

Chad Sutton chadarius at gmail.com
Sat Feb 3 21:57:20 GMT 2007

Patrick Green wrote:
> Well, on a lark I called an old friend of mine.
>
> He lives in the same town I do and he owns a production company.  He
> writes, films, casts, and directs commercials and high end promotional
> DVD's (for time shares, real estate for the rich and famous.)  A 15
> minute promotional film is usually in the neighborhood of 15-30
> grand.  He is willing to do one for Ubuntu Chicago with his writing,
> editing, and actors at no charge.
>
> I will be sitting down with him soon to give him some info on what
> linux is, what open source is, and what makes Ubuntu special.
>
> What this would give us is a movie we could have streaming on the wiki
> and even burn onto a DVD quality disk suited for you tv at home.
>
> On 2/1/07, *Patrick Green* <patlgreen at gmail.com
> <mailto:patlgreen at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     I prefer benevolent monarchies as well.  ;)  Thanks for letting me
>     know who da bass is RJ.  Yeah, this winter has been cold the last
>     few days.  Wherever we go needs to have hot chocolate...or whiskey.
>
>     Cheers

I'll second Rich's WOW! I'll be happy to help out in anyway I can. I
think its key to express what the freedom in open source means in
comparison to what Vista is ...hrm... brining to the table. But I'm not
sure that should be the main message. We need to show that it can be
easy to use and useful for people in just about any situation.

Recently, One of the youth at my church needed to write a paper for a
high school class. He had just built a brand new PC from parts that I
helped advise him on. Unfortunately, it wasn't a Linux based PC.
However, he had been listening to  my talks about open source and he
knew about OpenOffice. He installed OpenOffice that weekend and wrote
his paper without any problems.

I've also seen some major help come to people through the live CD's and
getting their data off of there
blownup/virus/ladden/can't-boot-up-anymore XP machines.

We could produce hours of content about situations in which Ubuntu can
help people out in a pinch and provide all of their day to day computing
needs. Perhaps the promo would help get our creative juices flowing. We
could be doing all kinds of great stuff like this.

It would be cool to see if we could create a DVD that had the
promotional video on it that could be played in a DVD and could also be
used to install Ubuntu once they have seen the Video and want to get
started right away.

--
Later,
Chad Sutton