[Ubuntu Chicago] Ubuntu Chicago Packaging Jam - A Bust

Mario Limonciello superm1 at ubuntu.com
Mon Dec 17 05:22:28 GMT 2007

Richard A. Johnson wrote:
> On Sunday 16 December 2007, Jim Campbell wrote:
> [...]
> | Sorry this wasn't the hottest meeting.  I think there's a couple of things
> | we can learn from today's session, though.
> |
> | - Packaging is tough.  We tried to cover a lot of ground.  Maybe we
> | would've done better and felt better with a smaller focus.  Maybe just
> | looking at merges or going over set parts of the MOTU documentation -
> | letting that lead us.  It's just something to consider for next time.
>
> Told ya it wasn't going to be an easy topic, so that is why I decided that
> doing a merge would be the easiest to start out with, and typically that is
> what an aspiring MOTU would start out with.
>
> | - People's time is valuable.  I think Wally left before we even started
> | talking about packaging.  We kind of sat around from 10:00-12:00, and I
> | think the projector was working most all of that time.  We can do better, I
> | think.  Maybe we dawdled because we weren't sure how to approach the
> | massive subject of packaging.  Still, we coulda done better.
>
> The projector was working fine, but the stupid resolution issue was being a
> pain.
>
> | - Let's be more social about our meetings or something.  We didn't
> | introduce each other and find out what people wanted from the session.
>
> Reason we didn't introduce each other is because we already know each other.
> It would be tough to see what the crowd would want from such a topic as you
> really have to teach in a specific order as there is just so much behind it.
>
> | I'm not sure if there's anything more for me to say.  Thanks for taking the
> | time to go through that stuff today, Richard.  It's complicated stuff.  I
> | just read your note and wanted to respond in some way.  I hope that my
> | comments are received constructively . . .  I don't mean them in a negative
> | manner.
>
> Not negative at all, I am glad you showed up and stuck around, and even
> provided a little humor at one point, which was pretty damn funny. You know
> the bit about CDBS and Debhelper :)  I was kind of annoyed from the get go on
> a couple of different levels.
>
> 1) Nobody showed up
> 2) Eddie slept in and this was his baby
> 3) The assholes in the back don't shut up for shit. Thankfully Casey has also
> requested we have the podium with microphone from now on. That will get
> someones attention.
> 4) I seriously don't think Ubuntu Chicago members are all that interested in
> development except for a select few.
>
> Thanks once again to Wally, Jim, and Aaron for taking time out and showing up.
> I apologize Wally for starting off rather late and if you are seriously
> interested in packaging or learning the development side, we could possibly
> meet up some evening or weekend, or break out during a LUG event. The same
> goes with anyone else interested.
>
> And Jim, your comments were not negative at all, they were dead on. Thanks for
> [...]
Hi Folks,

Sorry for not making it in today.  Playing the game of human tetris with
all my belongings took a lot longer than anticipated.  I just got back
about two hours ago and unloading my things now.  If there will be a
follow up session, let me know and I'll help out :)

Mario

--
Mario Limonciello
superm1 at ubuntu.com