Ubuntu-Chicago School Ubuntu

Andrew Bassett awbassett at gmail.com
Wed Nov 8 02:42:40 GMT 2006

On 11/7/06, Joseph <joseph.wyckoff at gmail.com> wrote:

> I go to EIU and have converted 2 people after I was converted by a
> friend.  Getting information about Linux and Ubuntu out to students
> would be a great idea.  Some students either have a brand new computer
> that gets infected in September once they let the Norton A/V lapse or
> old computers that barely run XP.  Either way, they are great candidates
> for being introduced to Linux.  Also, the Physics department is looking
> at upgrading their computers (the computers they have now have TURBO
> buttons!) and I've tried to get them to look at linux.  A slightly
> different approach is to make a facebook group, I'm part of one here but
> their is only 5 people in it.  I would like to help with Feisty Fawn, I
> might not have a lot of knowledge but I could beat on it and file bug
> reports.  joe

The LUG at University of Illinois @ Urbana/Champaign (of which I am alum)
does Install Fests, and have even created their own VM to distribute to
potential switchers. I know the chair (one of my good buddies) and I'm sure
he would be more than happy to work something out with us if that is what's
decided. We can even do presentations or something else fun. The actual LUG
is quite a technical group (gentoo devs, debian devs, etc) so anything
targeted at them would have to be a little different than a 'new user' talk.

Although it is quite a trek, we can make it worthwhile!

AB