[Ubuntu-US-CA] Ubuntu-us-ca Digest, Vol 133, Issue 3

Anna zeromusmog at gmail.com
Sat Oct 6 01:31:44 UTC 2018

It's pretty easy to get going, the hardest part is picking an instance
probably. https://floss.social is one I found that seems primarily focused
on FLOSS, which might be a good candidate. Doesn't seem to be any
ubuntu-centric ones though.

Running a Mastodon server would be pretty cool too, but would necessitate a
bit more involvement and considering how to handle who gets accounts, etc.
Most Mastodon instances run on Ubuntu (including mine!) so it'd be highly
appropriate, but getting everyone in the group sold on the concept and
interested in such a thing to make it worth the server cost and admin labor
would be the biggest issue I think :)

Pretty much all of identi.ca's momentum went into Mastodon, and is picking
up way more steam than identi.ca ever did, especially with its focus on
fixing a lot of the social problems inherent to platforms like twitter and
facebook.

I'm personally getting rather passionate about it because it's the first
chance I've seen for a break away from closed, corporate networks that
subsist off of data mining and, quite literally, misery, into something
that is run by individuals and communities for each others' mutual benefit.
I used to be extremely active on Twitter but did not realize just how bad
and unhealthy it was for me until I got away from it by participating in
a... let's call it a much healthier take on the microblogging concept, that
isn't 97% anger and hate speech.