[Ubuntu-US-CA] Internet slowdown

Mark Weisler mark at weisler-saratoga-ca.us
Sat Jun 25 03:31:14 UTC 2016

Hi Christian,
I'm intentionally top posting...

As a general practice, you want to engage in "bracketing" to try to isolate your networking problem.
You know that you have a problem all the way out at the end computer in the lobby.

Now you want to take a notebook computer to the "first place" you have an internet  connection at the site.  This is probably at the broadband modem or as close to the demarcation point as possible. Assuming you have an ethernet cable connecting from the broadband router to your switch, take a "known good" ethernet jumper cable and plug one end into the broadband modem (or dsl modem) and the other into your notebook. Test the internet connection from there. If bad or flaky or slow you then know to call the ISP.  (Probably after rebooting all the electronics and testing again.)

If good, then disconnect your notebook and connect the broadband modem to the switch. Pick a suitable port on the "LAN side" of the switch and test again. If good you probably know the switch is good. Perform another test on the port serving the lobby of the establishment to learn if maybe that particular port is bad but others are good. It sometimes happens that a port on the "LAN side" of the switch is bad, maybe just one out of N ports, and you can just plug the lobby line into a different (good) port.

If the port serving the lobby has been good and tests good then you know you probably have a problem with the cabling between the switch and the lobby "technology outlet". And so on. Bracketing your testing to isolate what is good and what is not. There are, of course ways to use electronics to test and measure the quality of the ethernet cables installed in the building. It can sometimes be good to have all this testing and documented as a baseline for your records but maybe that's not affordable in this situation.

Hope that helps.