[Ubuntu-US-CA] Upcoming Ubuntu 16.04 presentations in Felton and San Francisco

Elizabeth K. Joseph lyz at ubuntu.com
Fri Jul 1 22:48:40 UTC 2016

On Thu, Jun 30, 2016 at 9:41 PM, Christian Einfeldt <einfeldt at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for those slides.  I noticed that you mentioned that 16.04 is the
> first LTS with Systemd.  I have heard horrible things about systemd.  Do you
> agree?  thanks.

One of the main complaints about systemd is that it's not just an
initialization system, it takes control over how much of the low level
system behaves, from basic process management to networking and more.
This arguably goes against the Unix philosophy of tools that "Do One
Thing and Do It Well"[0]. There are massive threads online about other
concerns people have, so I won't repeat them here, but there are
plenty of valid concerns.

It's also worthy to note that any major change in an init system, or
any core systems, is bound to cause unforeseen problems and it's
impossible to test every hardware configuration that may be out there.
But it's been used in Red Hat for several years, and since the
introduction of systemd happened in 15.04, there was a full year of
testing in the Ubuntu community before 16.04 was released. Hopefully
most of the kinks have been worked out in that time.

Speaking as a desktop/laptop user, as well as someone who runs servers
now using systemd, I haven't had a problem with the switch. Whether
it's sysvinit, Upstart or systemd, as long as it doesn't get in my way
and the transition documents (like rewriting init scripts) are clear,
I don't care and have steered clear of the controversy.

[0] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix_philosophy#Do_One_Thing_and_Do_It_Well