[Ubuntu-US-CA] Locking down Ubuntu 14.04 Unity

Geoffrey Thomas geofft at ldpreload.com
Wed Sep 30 01:06:04 UTC 2015

I would just use the built-in guest session feature, and only create a
real account (or even just a root password) for the staff.

https://help.ubuntu.com/stable/ubuntu-help/shell-guest-session.html

"A guest cannot view the home folders of other users, and by default any
saved data or changed settings will be removed/reset at logout. It means
that each session starts with a fresh environment, unaffected by what
previous guests did." (Presumably they can still write to, like, /var/tmp,
but that shouldn't be a problem, and you can set up a thing to clean up
that directory at logout if really needed.)

The normal behavior of auto-mounting flash drives to the current user
works for guest users, too.

--
Geoffrey Thomas
https://ldpreload.com