[Ubuntu-US-CA] Locking down Ubuntu 14.04 Unity

Mark Weisler mark at weisler-saratoga-ca.us
Thu Oct 1 01:39:23 UTC 2015

On Sep 29, 2015, at 5:48 PM, Christian Einfeldt wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am donating two Ubuntu 14.04 machines to a homeless shelter.  The shelter would like to prevent the residents from writing any documents to the hard drive.  The shelter wants to have residents download stuff to flash drives they are giving the residents.  Googling, I find nothing directly on point.  Any help is welcome.
>
> I did find this
>
> http://forums.linuxvoice.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=147
>
> Which talks about locking down the user settings, but it does not prevent writing to the hard drive.
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> Christian Einfeldt

If you want to prevent the user from writing to the hard drive, you might try using the guest session capability mentioned in another post and setting the system so it gives no permissions to the guest user, something like...

sudo mkdir -m ---------- /var/guest-data
Please see:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CustomizeGuestSession
and