[Ubuntu-US-CA] VBox Crash w/Unity

Scott DuBois rhcom.linux at gmail.com
Wed May 27 22:10:08 UTC 2015

Ok, so I've been trying to get some experience using Unity again as I haven't
really played with it since 11.04. At that time, I had difficulty getting my
comfort routine to conform to the way Unity works so I ended up going in
different directions and eventually becoming a KDE user.

Anyway, trying to get some time with it, I loaded 14.04 into VBox and it
crashed. Not just the VBox though, the whole desktop (Debian 7) right down to a
locked up TTY session. It happened during apt-get upgrade and some guest
additions started coming in that took the whole thing down. This was the x64 iso
so I switched to the i386 iso and still got the same results.

I ended up having to get rid of the Ubuntu with Unity iso and instead switched
over to Kubuntu 14.04 and it seems to be stable and working even after update &
upgrade. This is fine, except I'm kind of bummed because I really want to spend
some time with Unity. I'm not interested in doing a dual boot or scrubbing
Wheezy just yet; particularly if I haven't had the chance to play for a while
first.

Has anyone else had this issue with trying to run Unity 14.04 in VBox? I suppose
I *could* try running it in KVM and see if I get better results that way but I
don't want to go pushing my luck before asking around.
--
Scott DuBois       "The true sign of intelligence is...
BSIT/SE	                 not knowledge but imagination"