[Ubuntu-US-CA] SCaLE 12x wrapup

Robert Wall robert at rww.name
Thu Mar 20 00:56:51 UTC 2014

Hello everyone!

Ubuntu California had a booth at the Southern California Linux Expo 12x
on February 22nd and 23rd. At our meeting[1] on March 10th, we discussed
what we thought we did well and what we should improve on for next year.
I was asked to pull out the key points and send them to you in case you
didn't get a chance to attend. I've also put these points on the wiki[2]
for future reference. If you have any additional comments, feel free to
share them here! If you have private comments or concerns, please email
one of our team leads (me, Elizabeth, or Philip).

[1] See the log at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CaliforniaTeam/Meetings/14March09
[2] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CaliforniaTeam/Projects/Scale12x

I'm really happy that I got the chance to participate in SCaLE 12x. If
you've been thinking of going to SCaLE in the future but are still on
the fence, I'd recommend going next year. It's very fun, working the
booth is a great way to get in some practice talking to people about
Ubuntu (and if that sounds scary, we'll help with that. I used to think
the same!), and the conference itself has some great talks and is very
friendly. Thanks to everyone who attended and volunteered, we did a
great job and I hope to see us rock next year too :)

== Highlights ==

* Pretty well stocked. We rationed swag so that we had stuff to hand out
every day. We also tended to offer to people who stopped and talked,
rather than just leaving it out for anyone to take.

* Corner booth layout worked well

* Ubuntu for Phones was a huge hit. The Nexus 4 phones we got from
Canonical were very successful and useful.

== Improvement Points ==

* Ran out of candy after first day. The candy we did have worked very
well though, we might want to buy that brand again next year.

* Focus more on burning CDs (well, DVDs) next time. Would be worth
seeing if we can get more funding for pressed discs from Canonical next
year, because the ones they sent this year went like hotcakes.

* More attention to keeping under-the-tables clean. It's useful for
storing items we're not using right away, but we need to make sure stuff
is findable under there and not visible (looks a bit scruffy).

* Booth volunteer schedules would be useful for next year, posted ahead
of time on the wiki and on the day on paper. That would let us better
plan when people will be keeping an eye on the booth and who will be
leaving to see talks when.

* Set up the booth on Friday. We got it together before the expo hall
opened Saturday, but less scrambling is always good. That would have
also given us time to do cross-training on talking points and general
Ubuntu questions.

Robert