[Ubuntu-US-CA] Failing/failed hard disk advice

Mark Weisler mark at weisler-saratoga-ca.us
Thu Jun 19 06:08:47 UTC 2014

On Jun 17, 2014, at 12:00 AM, Grant Bowman wrote:

> My new friend who is trying Ubuntu with a disk from Lyz (thanks Lyz) just sent me an email. An external hard drive Seagate (1TB, model #: srd0sp0, newegg carries them for $79) with USB interface is not mounting automatically. When plugged into the MacBook Pro computer a slight clicking sound is heard, then it gets quiet and the light starts blinking.
>
> I don't know how much travel this drive has done. Some person on the internet took theirs apart: http://stx.lithium.com/t5/Backup-Plus-and-Seagate-Slim/Backup-Plus-Blinking-Light/td-p/176962  We will try rebooting and mounting on other computers and try to see the partitions and filesystems tomorrow. Perhaps the moral of the story is to buy Western Digital or another manufacturer? Other thoughts?
>
> Thanks for ignoring this post or redirecting me to a more appropriate place if you think it's off-topic.
>
> Grant
The following study suggests the ranking from most reliable to least is...
1. Hitachi
2. Western Digital
3. Seagate

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/175089-who-makes-the-most-reliable-hard-drives

I now routinely use about ten drives and over the last few years I've been disappointed in Seagate and stopped buying them in favor of WD.
Some of the Seagate external drives seemed to have an autonomous shutdown function when not in active use that I could not override with Linux or OS X. The drive would unmount.

--
Mark Weisler   tel. 408.568.1229
PGP Key ID 68E462B6