[Ubuntu-US-CA] Failing/failed hard disk advice

Alex @ Call the Ninja alex at calltheninja.com
Wed Jun 18 19:35:35 UTC 2014

logo <http://calltheninja.com>

Alex Bryan / Senior Technician
310-951-9290/ calltheninja at gmail.com <mailto:alex at calltheninja.com>

Call The Ninja
879 W 190th St FL 4, Torrance, CA 90248
5870 W Jefferson Blvd? Suite E, Los Angeles, CA 90016
http://calltheninja.com

Facebook <http://www.facebook.com/calltheninja> Yelp
<http://www.yelp.com/biz/call-the-ninja-computer-repair-gardena>

We do see much higher "unexpected" failure rates of Seagates in our shop
-- most WD drives we get are very old and were known to be on their last
legs. Backblaze did an analysis of their drives recently (as they use
consumer-level drives) and found Seagate to be much more reliable than
any other brand with Hitachi taking the lead. There was also a similar
analysis done by a russian data recovery company that found the same
results regarding Seagate. One of the issues for consumers is that
Seagate will release multiple models with the same model number making
QA very difficult for consumers.