[Ubuntu-US-CA] Failing/failed hard disk advice

Scott DuBois linux at roguehorse.com
Wed Jun 18 19:41:48 UTC 2014

On 06/17/2014 08:31 AM, Nathan Haines wrote:
> On 06/17/2014 12:00 AM, Grant Bowman wrote:
>> My new friend who is trying Ubuntu with a disk from Lyz (thanks Lyz)
>> just sent me an email. An external hard drive Seagate (1TB, model #:
>> srd0sp0, newegg carries them for $79) with USB interface is not mounting
>> automatically. When plugged into the MacBook Pro computer a slight
>> clicking sound is heard, then it gets quiet and the light starts
>> blinking.
>
> Try this drive on a desktop computer.  Sometimes laptops don't provide
> enough power for 2.5" external USB hard drives.  I know this is silly
> but it's true.  This is a differential diagnostic step.
>
> Otherwise, it's probably toast.
>
> When I worked there, Western Digital had the lowest failure rate in the
> industry.  As I occasionally said to customers when I was doing support,
> "It's not that our competitors make bad drives, it's just that ours are
> better."  So I can definitely recommend WD drives, but the real moral of
> the story is that you should always have three copies (the original and
> two backups) of any critical file.
>
> Regards,
> Nathan

I'll support the "try a desktop" line as I get off-and-on results from
our HP laptop to finding things I plug in via USB. Sometimes I have to
"fiddle" with my sons' LeapPad a few times to get the laptop to see it.

As for WD drives, I have never used anything but based on 15 year old
advice which seems to have served me well. At least for "internal"
drives. I use a Fantom fanless eSATA for an external and it has worked
flawless for like the last 4 years so I can honestly recommend them at
this point.

--
Scott DuBois
President EBLUG