[Ubuntu-US-CA] Failing/failed hard disk advice

Scott DuBois linux at roguehorse.com
Wed Jun 18 19:30:29 UTC 2014

On 06/17/2014 12:00 AM, Grant Bowman wrote:
> My new friend who is trying Ubuntu with a disk from Lyz (thanks Lyz)
> just sent me an email. An external hard drive Seagate (1TB, model #:
> srd0sp0, newegg carries them for $79) with USB interface is not mounting
> automatically. When plugged into the MacBook Pro computer a slight
> clicking sound is heard, then it gets quiet and the light starts blinking.
>
> I don't know how much travel this drive has done. Some person on the
> internet took theirs apart:
> http://stx.lithium.com/t5/Backup-Plus-and-Seagate-Slim/Backup-Plus-Blinking-Light/td-p/176962
> We will try rebooting and mounting on other computers and try to see the
> partitions and filesystems tomorrow. Perhaps the moral of the story is
> to buy Western Digital or another manufacturer? Other thoughts?
>
> Thanks for ignoring this post or redirecting me to a more appropriate
> place if you think it's off-topic.
>
> Grant

I've been reading some good things about the product below lately as
I've found interest in listening to the Security Now! podcast. Since
1999 I've always heard from others to "only" use WD drives and avoid
Seagate. While I have always followed this advice I can hostly say I
have NEVER had a drive crash internally or externally.

I've also been told to avoid PNY RAM for what it's worth. : )

https://www.grc.com/default.htm

--
Scott DuBois
President EBLUG