[Ubuntu-US-CA] Failing/failed hard disk advice

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Tue Jun 17 18:00:41 UTC 2014

On 06/17/2014 10:37 AM, brendanperrine wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Jun 2014 02:25:03 -0700
> "Michael Paoli" <Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu> wrote:
>
>>     or wiped, even if not operational?
> I think the gnome-disks tools may be able to get smart data of usb drives it works for my seagate expansion drives which could tell if drive. If it has failing sectors this could really be a problem. Also has the user turned auto mount off manually. I normally use lubuntu so even with automount off pcmanfm has a simple way on the side to try to mount it.

That actually depends on the case the drive is in being capable of
passing the SMART data, which is an uncommon feature.

Extracting from the case (if it's out of warranty) and hooking directly
into a motherboard is the best way to get the smart data. You make also
want to look into the freezer trick if it's clicking. Priority 1 is
clone the drive with rescue tools.

Enjoy,
Alex