[Ubuntu-US-CA] Event ideas for summer/fall

Elizabeth K. Joseph lyz at ubuntu.com
Wed Jul 30 20:00:37 UTC 2014

On Thu, Jul 17, 2014 at 11:58 AM, Scott DuBois <linux at roguehorse.com> wrote:
> On 06/17/2014 11:13 PM, Elizabeth K. Joseph wrote:
>> On Sun, Jun 15, 2014 at 6:35 PM, Scott DuBois <linux at roguehorse.com> wrote:
>>> I'm (fairly) confident Hurricane Electric would let us use their
>>> facilities for hosting some sort of event if someone has something in
>>> mind. As this is my first year getting involved with UbuntuCA as well as
>>> the local CA LUGs I'm not sure what kinds of stuff has gone on in the
>>> past to use as a reference for other events.
>>
>> That's great, we have a few offers for venue space on the table now,
>> but more is better! It's good to have options :)
>>
>> What I think we need right now are drivers for events. I've done a lot
>> of it in the past few years, but I have a pretty hectic travel
>> schedule this year and work is taking up a lot of my time. It would be
>> great to see some new faces planning events.
>>
>> Some event ideas:
>>
>> - Participate in Ubuntu Global Jam:
>> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuGlobalJam (I did a Quality Assurance Jam
>> a couple years ago, went really well).
>>
>> - Installfest (need a full day for this, so probably 6 hours on a
>> Saturday with a venue that has parking in case people bring
>> towers+monitors)
>>
>> - Presentations on Ubuntu topics that may not be of interest to the
>> broader LUG community (like rww's app dev suggestion)
>>
>> For some insight into past work, see:
>>
>> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CaliforniaTeam/Projects
>>
>> We used to participate in the Solano Stroll in Berkeley in September,
>> and SFSU often has Software Freedom Day (also September) events on
>> campus that it would be great to us participate in that more.
>>https://scontent-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/10570562_825962990749097_1576976279656322674_n.jpg?oh=c302e52a994d7a13dde3e1fa3163b6e5&oe=54369570
>
> Has there been any new progress on this topic? I haven't seen anything
> come through so I wanted to follow up. : )

Unfortunately not. I'm still a bit too busy to plan anything directly
myself, but I'm happy to help out others.

There's now a proposed date for the Ubuntu Global Jam in September:
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/loco-contacts/2014-July/006717.html

Details for what a Global Jam is: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuGlobalJam

We did an ISO testing jam a couple years ago in SF:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CaliforniaTeam/Projects/QuantalGlobalJam

There are some venue options I know of if someone wants to take a lead here.

http://www.princessleia.com