[Ubuntu-US-CA] Server 14.04 new VirtualHost

Scott DuBois sdubois at linux.com
Sat Jul 19 00:46:31 UTC 2014

On 07/18/2014 05:32 PM, Mark Garrow wrote:
> Scott,
>
> If you go into /var/www and ls -la you'll see what the group and user
> settings are.  I'm pretty sure that your /srv directory and it's
> contents needs to be the same for apache to access it.
>
> Mark
>

> On Fri, Jul 18, 2014 at 4:50 PM, Scott DuBois <sdubois at linux.com
> <mailto:sdubois at linux.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 07/18/2014 10:43 AM, Mark Garrow wrote:
>     > Hi Scott,
>     >
>     > I'm not sure if this will help, but.... the only thing you didn't
>     > mention was changing the group and user of /srv .. If I remember
>     > correctly /var/www is www-data:www-data for group and user.
>     > -
>     >
>     >
>     > Best regards,
>     >
>     > Mark Garrow
>     >
>     >
>     >

>     Hi Mark,
>
>     No, I have not read that anywhere. So what you're saying is try setting
>     folder permissions at /srv to www-data(group) and www-data(user) ?
>
>     I've been using LAMP stacks for a number of years now but this is my
>     first time playing outside the default Apache settings.
>
>     When I complete all of this I will have to blog it.
>
>     --
>     Scott DuBois
>     President EBLUG
>     BSIT Software Engineering
>     Freenode: Roguehorse
>
>     --

> Best regards,
>
> Mark Garrow
> CalState Realty / C2 Financial Corp.
> <mailto:sdhomes at cox.net>markgarrow at gmail.com <mailto:markgarrow at gmail.com>
> 760-300-3639 Direct
> www.MarkGarrowRealtor.com <http://www.MarkGarrowRealtor.com>
> BRE 01276379
>
> E-mails sent or received shall neither constitute acceptance of
> conducting transactions via electronic means nor create a binding
> contract until and unless a written contract is signed by the parties.

It's the same. Good call though. : )

I thought Liz Joseph had it fixed for me earlier but when I started
moving files around, I realized I was viewing files from the same
location under a different path. So I'm starting to wonder if I'm
chasing ghosts.

If I place an HTML document in /srv/www and set that same path as my
DocumentRoot in a new VirtualHost and I set all permissions the same as
/var/www then how do I navigate from the browser to view the HTML
document located at /srv/www and not end up viewing the HTML document at
/var/www? How do I duplicate the results of /var/www to /srv/www?

--
Scott DuBois
President EBLUG