[Ubuntu-US-CA] Project: Letters to our Representatives

Peter Sullivan petermsull at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 20:44:06 UTC 2013

Hi All,

Although I am new to this group - not new to Linux or Ubuntu - I feel I
must chime in at this time.  While raising awareness of the benefits of
FOSS/Ubuntu is laudable and likely could save the CA gov't boatloads of
cash, the UDS is hardly the venue to promote awareness.  Talks about
upstart vs system.d, SELinux implementation, APIs and system calls etc will
only have non-tech folk looking at their watches very, very quickly.  I
agree w/ the previous statement that an invitation to a user-focused (don't
care for the term 'consumer' much) event/forum holds a greater probability
for success in raising awareness and generating interest.  This is our aim,
yes?  Then let's not shoot ourselves in the foot by boring them to tears
first.

A practical example: Today US-CERT listed (I'm on their list) the following
rather extreme warning re UPnP (link vetted):
http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/922681 which in essence means shutting down
at the router level all UDP traffic on port 1900.  Now to us this is a
simple task.  How many of our elected representatives would have a clue?
Not many I assure you, though the page above does contain a link to Rapid7
that has issued a Windoze tool for determining said vulnerability along w/
remediation.  My question stands: how many would know to go into their...
disable port 1900 across their LAN/WLAN?  So if that is 'voodoo' for them,
a *developer* (the key word some are overlooking here) summit is way out of
their league.  As a 'proof' I would offer that former Congresswoman Jane
Harman who was a ranking member on the House Intelligence Committee had her
home network (my best friend was her aid) set up as WEP speaks volumes.

Bests,

Peter

On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 11:57 AM, Nathan Haines <nhaines at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> On 01/29/2013 11:36 AM, George Mulak wrote:
>
>> These are true and good ideas Nathan.  No one wants to hurt Ubuntu or UDS
>> in any way that I know of.  Would you help us develop this or give us
>> direction?
>>

> Well, as I stated before I think it's a harmful idea, so no, I could not
> ethically help develop the plan unless someone had a convincing argument
> that inviting policymakers to UDS would be helpful to policymakers and not
> harmful to UDS.  My only suggestion until then is to start by collaborating
> on a justification for the plan.
>
> While I am ready to be convinced, my recommendation would be to abandon
> this idea and instead focus policymakers at end-user oriented events.
>

> --
> Nathan Haines
> Ubuntu - http://www.ubuntu.com/

This email and its contents are sent to you on condition of
confidentiality, and may be protected by Federal Rule of Evidence 408; in
any event, disclosure to anyone other than intended recipients is
unauthorized.  If you are not an intended recipient of this email, please
delete it immediately and notify me of the error.