[Ubuntu-US-CA] Project: Representative-Letters, Part Deux

Grant Bowman grantbow at ubuntu.com
Sun Feb 10 02:17:57 UTC 2013

Here is the project page.

    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CaliforniaTeam/Projects/Representative-Letters

Please join me *after* our team meeting tomorrow night (stick around
afterward) and/or any night this week M-F at 7:30 PM in IRC
http://ubuntu-california.org/chat/ or #ubuntu-us-ca on freenode.net to
discuss this project. Far from being vague, I would like to
collaboratively draft an initial contact letter and a reminder letter
with reasonable, appropriate information and send them to all
California representatives. The fact that this meeting is taking place
in our state is newsworthy to the "Internet using" public and public
officials and can be carefully described in a "press release" manner.
Discussion of advocacy and promotion is part of the world-wide Ubuntu
work taking place inside UDS. We will coordinate with Canonical,
codeforamerica.org and opensourceforamerica.org if they opt-in to
coordinating with us. We are the team members willing to step forward
to work on this project. Of course more "user focused" events such as
SCaLE socallinuxexpo.org can be promoted at the same time if done in a
coordinated manner.

Thank you one and all for your valuable, constructive feedback and
contributions to this effort. I've made adjustments to the plan though
I think that some of my intention in launching this project were
misconstrued due to lack of detail. Details are forthcoming. The
discussion on the email list is very much in line with what I was
thinking.

Let's take a quick step back. What do LoCos do? We advocate and
promote Ubuntu. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LoCoTeams I do not think we
should shy away from talking with fellow citizen computer users, even
if they happen to work in politics. As citizens we have an option to
exercise our voice to our representatives about what is important to
us. Ubuntu is important to us, it's why we participate in the team.

How do we work together? We demonstrate humanity toward others,
Ubuntu. We do not show prejudice, we foster collaboration and we
respectfully assume good intentions. This discussion among people with
different needs, interest and skills helps us work together. As this
kind of letter writing outreach has not been done before (to my
knowledge) we are refining this idea and carefully aligning it with
other Ubuntu efforts. We strive for consensus but this is not an
absolute requirement for moving forward together.
http://www.ubuntu.com/project/about-ubuntu/conduct  How might the
opposite look? Claiming other people are motivated by subversion,
undermining, harmful or unethical intentions and not being willing to
participate. While we may not agree on all points there is hopefully
no need for such claims in our volunteer team. If we seriously
disagree there are procedures for escalation. Some team members are
familiar with these procedures. A clear majority of people have
responded positively to this concept and I appreciate the discussion
of merits and concerns. Several different levels of organization have
been involved in the planning of this team project. The devil will be
in the details of implementation so let's get to work.

Respectfully,

Grant Bowman
ubuntu-california.org