[Ubuntu-US-CA] Github Game Off 2012 - Where to start?

John Kim thinkndev at gmail.com
Sat Nov 3 16:28:01 UTC 2012

Hello,

I'm John and I'm founder of John Marshall High School LUG.  I thought to
get the group started and rolling, we would participate in some code event.
And we found it, Github's first game
off<https://github.com/blog/1303-github-game-off>.
Long story short, Github gives participants the month of November to create
an HTML game loosely based on one or more of the following topics: forking,
branching, cloning, pushing, pulling.

We hope to use Linux as the choice platform to do most things dev and
software.  After all, we are a Linux User Group.

>From my group, I made a team of 5 people, all laptop users including
myself, to participate in this event. Today, they are coming over to my
place for an installfest and a brainstorm session for the game. Tomorrow,
folks in L.A., some of us - hopefully all 5 of us - are coming to the LA
Open Source Hackathon
<http://www.meetup.com/LA-Hackathons/events/85658952/>and bringing our
nascent project with us. Help is very much appreciated!

The reality is that we are all beginners.  Some of us have coding
experience, like learning C++, Python, and C. None of us ever tried working
on a software project. We don't expect to produce flying colors or a
winning idea as starters, but we are in this for the experience.

According to the rules, we are encouraged to use open source technologies,
from graphics, sounds, framework/libraries, etc. So far, we are thinking
between a 2d action platformer or a puzzle. What is the best starter
library?  How can we set it up?

Although we're a bunch of high school kids, I think we can really pull it
off. Thanks for your time!

--
John Kim
Ubuntu enthusiast