[Ubuntu-US-CA] Ubuntu for Students - to rouse people interest.

John Kim jkgodzvision at gmail.com
Wed May 23 01:53:41 UTC 2012

Hi guys!

I'm John, a HS sophomore from Los Angeles.  Very recently, I kickstarted an
idea about making Ubuntu the main OS within John Marshall High School, a
dilapidated high school, still standing and reeking of age, that has been
using Windows XP for a decade now.  For those who haven't heard, I have a
post about it:
http://epikvision.blogspot.com/2012/05/game-changing-proposal-ubuntu-for.html

here's the situation: although I created a proposal, I did not hand it in
to the administration just yet (we only got one shot at this). David Montes
and I are trying to build a support base and handy foundation of research
data.  We see three primary audiences: teachers, students, and the
administration. The best way to go, we decided, is one audience at a time.

So, now that I'm trying to get students' attention,* I would like to hear
ideas and suggestions on marketing techniques and ways to rouse student
interest*.  In my school, it's mighty difficult to spark students' interest
of an OS that most has never heard of. So I leave some room for discussion.
There's only 3 weeks left of school, and I hope to gain momentum asap.

One thing I thought about is to hold a demo hands-on for students to
compare windows xp and ubuntu side by side.  After that, the people would
take a surveymonkey on their experience. I see some weakness, including
limited resources (we can't just borrow a student laptop cart and install
half of them ubuntu) or sponsorship (what room can allow us to carry this
out?  it's a lengthy process to get teacher permission).  Many more exist,
I'm sure.

2 people - David Montes and myself - alone can't make so grand a project
possible without support.  Ideas and suggestions are welcome, but
hopefully, it is do-able within 3 weeks.  Thanks for your time.

--
John
epikvision.blogspot.com