[Ubuntu-US-CA] Looking for a Good Solution (data syncing)

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Fri Jun 8 16:26:53 UTC 2012

On 06/08/2012 08:57 AM, Dave <3 Ubuntu wrote:
> Hi all. I am looking for a good solution for my brother. But first, the
> story...
>
> The latest round of viruses on his wifes computer has prepped him to try
> something different. He spent all night recently trying to clean her
> system and get it to boot. He knows Ubuntu enough as a user as I
> installed it as a dual boot on an older laptop of his. He jumps into
> Ubuntu from time to time. After showing him how to run ClamAV yesterday
> on his wifes drive and cleaning up all the viruses, he is convinced and
> ready to make the switch to Ubuntu.
>
> Here is his situation. He has three computers. He would like one box as
> a server and use the other two laptops. Sounds easy and I can do that no
> prob, but here is the tricky part. He has a bunch of data... He used to
> be a DJ so he has tons of music and as a photographer he also has about
> 60,000 worth of 35mm slides he has scanned in and is now on a hard
> drive. He wants to have this data backed up and synced at all times.
> Ubuntu One and Dropbox are not an option because of the large amount of
> data which he estimates to be about 900GB give or take. He would like
> this synced across three drives. One at work, one at home and one at my
> dads house. Thats his goal and Im not that technical so I though I would
> see if anyone on the list would have some good ideas for syncing such
> large amounts of data.
>
> Many thanks! Dave

The classic solution to this is rsync, which I find to be somewhat
tricky but can get by using grsync (a GUI version) to set up. rsync is
magic in that it only transfers differences. It does however take a
while each time it's run to find what's changed and I haven't found a
good way to skip that and say just push new stuff since I know the old
stuff hasn't changed. This could be set up as a cron job to just happen
in the background.

The other method I sometimes use for this challenge is version control.
I setup the master repository on my server and then use standard version
control methods to keep my 2 desktop/laptop machines up to date whenever
I get on them. There's a little extra work here since a user has to
manually say "add" to the version control system then push the files,
and remember to pull/update on the other machine. Some of the common
version control system do have integration with Nautilus or Dolphin (The
file managers) so you don't have to learn command line.

Enjoy,
Alex