[Ubuntu-US-CA] RMS vs. Amazon search results feature

I L droid1836 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 04:26:03 UTC 2012

The addition of the Amazon search feature for me raises one particular
question that I hope can be addressed. I have been an avid supporter of
Ubuntu, passing out discs and evangelizing the operating system whenever I
can. However, at this time I feel that I can no longer do so because I am
afraid that someone may interpret the online search feature within the
desktop as a keylogger and hold me liable for potentially leaking their
personal information.

I do not pretend to have a full understanding of the legal framework around
this feature and am aware that the terms of service does include language
regarding the Amazon search functionality. I just feel that I am
inadequately prepared to articulate the above mentioned feature to new
users who are unfamiliar with Ubuntu without exposing myself to potential
risk due to a misunderstanding of the intended functionality.

I believe this feature provides significant value to the user, but would
prefer to see greater transparency with it from a laymens perspective so as
to eliminate any and all concerns of its functionality.

Thank You,
Ian