[Ubuntu-US-CA] UDS archives

Tony Baechler tony.baechler at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 06:16:00 UTC 2012

Hi all,

I realize that this has nothing to do with UDS registration, but the mail
reminded me of something which has bothered me for a while.

How can one get complete downloadable archives?  Before people tell me to go
to YouTube, let me explain.  I'm totally blind and I really don't want the
video.  I just throw the video away anyway and extract the audio stream.  I
know that there is an audio mirror, but it's not official and is a capture
of the live mp3 streams.  While there seems to be a lot of material there,
(16 GB per summit) some sessions are incomplete and/or broken and some are
missing audio, so you have a silent mp3 file.  Also, YouTube downloads are
very slow and problematic, even with youtube-dl.

If you look at the Linux.Conf.Au archives, the Debian conference videos and
FOSDEM videos, they're all nicely downloadable and it isn't hard to extract
the audio.  I really wish Ubuntu would do something similar for UDS
archives.  They do have video of a couple from quite a while ago, but
nothing recent.  For the last two, I've used the unofficial mirror, but I
know that one of them (N or O, I'm not remembering) is missing half of the
content and prior summits aren't there at all.

Does anyone here have any suggestions or ideas?  Could someone perhaps talk
to the UDS people in charge to get them to set up a mirror system for the
video archives?  I unfortunately don't have the bandwidth to host such a
mirror, but I would be happy to upload the extracted audio somewhere for
others who don't want or need the video.

Thanks for any ideas or suggestions that you might have.  If I can help
somehow, please let me know.