[Ubuntu-US-CA] In search of 56k serial modem

James Tatum jtatum at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 19:39:07 UTC 2011

If his old one was serial, it should be replaceable via an electronics
surplus store. Weird Stuff in Sunnyvale has USR Couriers (the best
modem ever made) for $10. They sell the same part on eBay for $25 plus
shipping.

Avoid internal and off brand parts as there's some chance it will be a
software modem (aka winmodem). That said, if it's not a winmodem,
Ubuntu will support it since the modem will be based on the highly
standard serial port and the sort-of-standard Hayes AT command set.