[Ubuntu-US-CA] Slow printing to Laser Printer with Ubuntu

Robert Lewis bob.l.lewis at gmail.com
Thu May 19 05:26:38 UTC 2011

I trying to help 3 people with the identical issue. One of them being
myself.
Printing large pdf files and also some web sites is painfully slow to
various brand and model laser printers.
When I try printing from (ugh) windows7 it is fast.

The laser printer LED shows data being spooled to it and lpstat -t shows the
percentage of the job
being spooled (this is slow).  When it gets to 100% then the printer does
come on and print as expected.

If I choose to print to an INK Jet color printer then that is fast.     It
is only Laser printers the slow behavior.

I have tried with  various versions of Ubuntu including 11.04 all with the
same results.

I am not looking for speculation as to how to resolve this but more from
others that have seen this
issue and have found a solution.

Cheers,
Bob