[Ubuntu-US-CA] Grub 2 Issues

Alan Ostlund mjolnar at sbcglobal.net
Sat Mar 26 04:16:42 UTC 2011

On 25/03/11 00:54, Grant Bowman wrote:
> Hello Alan,
>
> This is a little bit off topic for the subject line so I've changed
> the subject line. Your email does not have enough specifics to help
> understand what problem you seem to be facing.
>
> Questions: What version of Ubuntu did you install?
> What was on the machine before?
> By "super grub" do you intend http://www.supergrubdisk.org/ ?
> If so, which version of the "super grub" are you using as described on
> their web page?
>
> I had trouble with an ABI change when moving from the grub2 for Ubuntu
> 10.04 to 10.10 but I haven't heard of anything that matches your
> description. Maybe some else has.  The best resources for
> understanding grub2 that I know of is here:
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2
>
> I hope this helps,
>
> Grant Bowman
>

> On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 9:38 PM, Alan Ostlund<mjolnar at sbcglobal.net>  wrote:
>> I installed it 2 weeks ago, now I can't access my MBR.  Has anyone else run into this.  I can use Super Grubb to get into my O/S, but no more grub2.  It's there because I can get there going through Super Grub, but havent found a way to get to Grub2.  Has anyone else heard anything?
>>
>> Alan Ostlund
My error, I was reading my e-mail and saw the 1st paragraph talking
about Natty.  I have frantically been searching for something on it.

I installed Alpha 3 to check it out.  When I tried to boot up, there was
just a curser flashing in the upper left corner.  I loaded 10.04 Live
and ran "sudo update-grub", no change.  After that I re-installed Ubuntu
10.04 over the Natty install, no change in the grub.  If I put a live
disk in, I can get to grub, but I can't load with out a disk.

I have been able to do this with 4 or 5 different Linux live CDs as well
as Hiram's boot disk and an old copy of Super Grub.  I know there is
some logical explanation, but I have been thinking of pulling my old
HDDs out and starting from scratch with my new 1TB HDD.  I installed the
new drive after the problem started with the other HDDs still installed,
so I don't know if that will even help.

I was hoping to find a work around for this, but may have to wait till
April 28 and just start fresh.

Thanks for listening, and no jumping me for my poor judgement on the
subject.

Alan Ostlund