[Ubuntu-US-CA] Starting Out w/ Linux

George Mulak George at AmericanFinancialTax.com
Thu Mar 17 05:48:31 UTC 2011

Mr. Ballew (and all of you for that matter) make some good points.

As businessman/social worker type person (yes they CAN co-exist) I would
say the problem is complicated.

There is the aspect of people, most of which are selfish.  The don't
seem to care.  They just want something cheap that works well.  There is
another aspect of people being afraid.  Afraid of looking stupid or
silly, afraid of trying something new they don't understand, afraid of
getting stuck, not knowing who to ask for help, etc.

There is the aspect of businesses, non-profits, and clubs, etc that need
to function together, to exchange documents and ideas.  Most people, not
knowing how to make it work together just opt out for the easy solution
that is most pervasive, Microsoft.

>From my talking with people about this issue and how they feel about it
(most don't even know what an Operating System is) they are conflicted
with one or more of the above issues.  It's my idealist mentality that
trys to convince them to not waste their money for something that
doesn't even work that well.  I have pretty much stopped trying to do
that, all I get is a blank stare.  What I have been doing recently is
give them a machine that has been given to me broke (Windows do get
broken from time to time) and replace it with Ubuntu.  I give it back to
them and I usually never hear anything about it.  They just start using
it!  Most don't even know the difference.  I replaced the Kiosk in my
wife, Vicki's tax office with Puppy Linux, as it was an old machine.
People just walk up to it and use it!  Until I tell them it's Linux,
most don't even ask!

If I could do anything I would encourage all of us to continue what we
are doing.  To continue to work together, to help people out there, to
support a distro, to show people options for integrating, to help them
find the software they need, etc.

We have come a long way in a short time.  Even Redmond said that their
biggest threat was Linux.  Hey, Windows Ultimate has built a Subsystem
for UNIX-based Applications (SUA), or rather a Microsoft
<http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/15468-ultimate-entrp-subs
ystem-unix-based-applications.html#> -supported solution to compiling
and running Linux
<http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/15468-ultimate-entrp-subs
ystem-unix-based-applications.html#> /BSD software, or for that matter
any software
<http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/15468-ultimate-entrp-subs
ystem-unix-based-applications.html#>  for a UNIX/POSIX O/S.  That is
HUGE in my opinion.  That says we have already made the grade.

Let's keep it up and work together.

My thoughts,
George Mulak