[Ubuntu-US-CA] Starting Out w/ Linux

Mark Holmquist marktraceur at gmail.com
Sun Mar 13 19:47:21 UTC 2011

> people dont care as much if a piece of software is open source because they
> dont know what the source code even means. they want the best and what works
> for them. at least thats what i find...

Best article by the FSF ever, I found this just yesterday:

http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/practical.html

Essentially, why should you be looking for better software if you are still in chains? Why should anyone postpone or altogether ignore their struggle for freedom in order to be more productive within the society that took away their freedom?

I find the FSF philosophy articles are generally more succinct than I can be, so I often link people to them when they start in about the difference between free and gratis, and other common misunderstandings.

--
Mark Holmquist
Student, Computer Science
MarkTraceur at gmail.com